If you are concerned about frown lines, sagging brows or deep creases on your forehead, a brow lift might be able to restore a smoother appearance.
A brow lift aims to reduce the signs of ageing for a more youthful look. The procedure can smooth out the creases that develop across the forehead or high on the bridge of the nose, improve expression or frown lines and elevate a low or sagging brow. Raising the eyebrows can fix hooding over the upper eyelid to make you appear rejuvenated and more alert.
During your consultation, Dr Lim will discuss all your options, as it is common to combine a brow lift with other procedures, such as a facelift or eyelid surgery.
All surgical procedures leave scars to some degree. In the case of a brow lift, incisions are made either in the hairline or slightly behind the hairline. This extends into a hidden scar in the temple area. Depending on a number of factors, keyhole surgery (with an endoscope) may be used behind the hairline. In cases where there are very deep furrows that run the length of your forehead, a longer incision may be required.
Dr Lim will do his best to minimise scarring, and all available options and outcomes, including the location and length of your incision, will be discussed with you in the consultation process.
A brow lift is a surprisingly painless operation, performed under general anaesthetic in an accredited hospital. The procedure involves removing wrinkled skin, creating a naturally tighter appearance for a more youthful look. Excess skin may be removed to enhance the appearance of the eyelid.
After surgery your head may be wrapped in bandages which will be removed the next day. You may develop bruising around the eyes which will disappear in a few days.
You may be required to stay in hospital overnight following your surgery. Dr Lim will review you post-operatively and prescribe analgesia and antibiotics that will aid healing and reduce the potential for infection and bruising.
My Klinik staff will stay in touch with you after the procedure, monitor your progress and answer any questions or concerns as they arise. You’ll have reviews with Dr Lim one week, one month and three months after surgery.
Our goal is to make your experience as easy and comfortable as possible — Dr Lim and the My Klinik staff are always willing to answer any questions you may have.
Pre and Post-Operative Care
- You must fast prior to your procedure — do not eat, drink (even water) or chew anything for at least six hours before your procedure. The hospital will ring you the day before your procedure to confirm your admission time.
- If you have a gastric band or sleeve, you will need to have a fluid diet the day before your surgery and fast for at least eight hours on the day of your procedure.
- Notify Dr Lim of any medications that you are currently taking.
- Do not take any medication that contains aspirin, or any anti-inflammatory or herbal medication for two weeks before your procedure. Aspirin thins the blood, which can result in unnecessary blood loss during your procedure.
- Do not smoke for eight weeks before and eight weeks after your procedure. Smoking decreases blood flow to the skin and may delay the healing process or increase the risk of blindness.
- Do not drink any alcohol for two days before and two days after your procedure as it can interfere with the anaesthetic you will be given on the day.
- Vitamin C may help reduce your healing time and is recommended for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.
- Do not wear any nail polish, make-up or jewellery to the hospital and leave any valuables at home.
- You will need to wear comfortable, loose clothing that does not need to be pulled over the head or face before and after surgery. You may also wish to take a scarf, hat or hooded jacket to cover your dressings on your journey home.
- Be aware that you won’t be able to colour your hair for six weeks after surgery.
- Dr Lim will normally visit you in the hospital the morning after your procedure. Dr Lim will also be in contact with the nursing staff during your stay. You can usually go home the day after your surgery.
- General anaesthetic can take a few days to recover from — it can be quite normal to feel a little slow or out of sorts for a few days. It is recommended that you don’t drive for three to four days after surgery.
- After the procedure, your forehead will be swollen and bruised. You will have stitches or staples in the hairline. Dr Lim will remove these at your one-week post-op checkup.
- Once you have your stitches removed, you can apply vitamin E oil or cream to the scars.
- You may very gently wash your hair two days after surgery.
- It is important not to lie flat when sleeping. You must lie on a 45-degree angle to help decrease swelling. Pop two pillows underneath your back to keep you in this position.
- To help the swelling go down, we recommend placing ice packs around the swelling on your face three to four times a day for a period of 20–30 minutes — just don’t put ice directly onto your skin.
- It is crucial that you finish the course of antibiotics you are prescribed to prevent any post-op infection.
- Do not smoke for eight weeks after your procedure as this may slow the healing process and affect wound healing.
- My Klinik nursing staff will contact you to make sure that you are feeling comfortable and that you are getting enough pain relief.
- Contact My Klinik if any of the following develop:
- A temperature higher than 38°C or chills
- Heavy bleeding or drainage from the incisions
- Severe pain or tenderness
- Redness around the incisions that is spreading
- Loss of feeling in any part of your face.
- Dr Lim and the nursing staff are available to you as you recover — should you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact My Klinik. For after-hours concerns, please contact the hospital where you had your surgery and they will be able to contact Dr Lim as required.
Brow Lift FAQs
If you are concerned about one or more of the following, a brow lift may be right for you:
- Expression lines or signs of ageing in the brow region
- Sagging brows or furrows along your forehead
- Crow’s feet or deep frown lines at the root of your nose.
A brow lift is best suited for patients in good physical health, who don’t smoke and who have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure.
A brow lift can be performed in several ways, depending on factors such as the position of your hairline and eyebrows. The incisions are hidden behind the hairline and will result in a hidden scar in the temple area. The surgery may be assisted with the use of an endoscope under the hairline area (keyhole surgery). In cases where there are very deep furrows that run the length of your forehead, a longer incision may be required.
Dr Lim will discuss with you the best type of surgery for your desired outcomes, and the likely results, during the consultation process.
Your first consultation with Dr Lim will take around 45 minutes and you are most welcome to bring a support person with you. Due to social distancing measures as a result of COVID-19, the support person may not be able to enter the rooms (depending on the number of persons in the rooms at that particular time).
Dr Lim will take the time to discuss the procedure with you, the changes you desire, and any other issues related to the appearance of your face and brows that you feel are important to you. This will help Dr Lim understand your expectations and determine if they are achievable.
Dr Lim will explain the risks of surgery and discuss the methods of brow lift surgery with you. Your brow and forehead will be assessed, and a few measurements and photographs will be taken to plan the procedure.
You do not have to make the decision to proceed with the surgery at this initial consultation. You will be given a written quotation and information to take home to read.
Dr Lim will examine your brow and forehead and consider factors such as positioning, sagginess, wrinkles, the quality of your skin and the position of your hairline and upper eyelids.
Please come to the consultation prepared to discuss your medical history. This will include information about any medical conditions you have, medications you are currently taking, allergies you have, other medical treatments you have received and any previous surgery you have had.
A second consultation, at no extra cost, is usually required if you wish to proceed with surgery.
We recommend taking vitamin C for a week prior to the surgery.
Avoid products that contain aspirin, glucosamine, herbal supplements, fish oil and krill oil for four weeks before surgery. We also strongly recommend avoiding alcohol, and not smoking for eight weeks before and after surgery. Smoking can negatively affect the healing process.
On the day of surgery, patients should wear comfortable, loose clothing that does not need to be pulled over the head or face. Don’t wear any make-up, jewellery or nail polish.
We want to make this experience as easy as possible — you will be given all pre-operative instructions prior to your procedure but please don’t hesitate to call My Klinik if you have any questions or concerns before your surgery.
Dr Lim performs all surgeries at fully accredited hospitals — Lakeview Private Hospital and Westmead Private Hospital. Brow lift surgery is performed under general anaesthetic and you can expect to go home the same day or the day after the procedure.
Please contact the hospital a day before surgery to confirm your admission and fasting time. On entering the hospital, you need to report to the admissions desk and the staff will direct you through the admission process. Dr Lim and the anaesthetist will both see you prior to surgery and Dr Lim will make some markings on your face.
After the procedure, you will spend some time in the recovery room where you will be closely monitored until you are fully awake and returned to your rooms. Dr Lim will visit you in hospital the day of or the morning after your surgery.
A brow lift is a surprisingly painless operation with oral medication easily controlling the discomfort — Dr Lim will provide a prescription for you upon discharge. After surgery, your head may be wrapped in bandages which can be removed the next day. You may develop bruising around the eyes which will disappear in a few days. Most swelling and bruising should be gone in a few weeks.
It is also normal to feel tired and a little slow for a day or two following a general anaesthetic.
Everyone is different, so the recovery period following this procedure varies from person to person. Most people are back to their normal routine in approximately two to three weeks.
Returning to work depends on the demands of your job — you may be able to return to office duties in a week. Dr Lim will discuss your individual situation with you before and after your surgery.
I understand that all surgical procedures have risks involved; how do I find the information to make an informed decision?
We endeavour to make sure our patients are as informed as possible. While some of the potential risks seem frightening, it is important for you to be aware that they can occur. During consultation, Dr Lim will take you through the risks involved and the potential complications.
Some of the possible complications are:
- Keloids and hypertrophic (or raised) scars
- The final result may not be as the patient desired and may require follow-up procedures
- Removal of too much skin, possibly exposing the cornea to injury
- Temporary or permanent numbness, itchiness and/or nerve damage
- Temporary difficulty moving the forehead muscles
- Temporary or permanent hair thinning or loss new the surgical area — the hairline may also raise slightly
- In rare cases, permanent nerve damage can result in asymmetry of the eyebrows and a follow-up procedure may be required.
Dr Lim will monitor your progress carefully and our staff will stay in contact with you during the post-operative period. You will be seen at frequent intervals over the first three months. Your relationship with Dr Lim and the nursing staff does not end once you have had the procedure.
If you have any questions or concerns after your operation, you are always welcome to call My Klinik.
Brow Lift Video
Click on the link below to view the videos.
Want to know more?
Due to Australian medical guidelines we are unable to publish reviews and testimonials on our website. This is to ensure any opinions or information you read comes from an unbiased and unedited source. Though this is the case, we understand that reviews and testimonials are a very important part of your decision-making process when selecting a specialist plastic surgeon. You can find some of Dr Lim’s reviews online.